You’re probably thinking, oh boy, now we’re getting to the fun stuff. I wonder what stock tips Brian is going to give me?? WRONG!
Because everyone thinks building wealth is so fun, they fail to do the basic stuff first…like build their moat. Nothing in this section of the book takes place until the chapters of the first section are completed…nothing.
The order of investing is completely backwards in this country. Americans are more concerned about funding their 401(k) plans and other retirement accounts than anything else in this book. If retirement is the last thing to happen in your lifetime, short of dying, why is it the first thing you are funding? Does that make any sense to you?
Here’s how we’re going to do this:
1) Build and execute a budget so you know where your $$$ is going…and isn’t going.
2) Create margin by finding ways to live well, but still save.
3) Create liquidity in your life
4) Look at your timeline of needs/wants, and plan accordingly
5) Utilize retirement accounts efficiently and effectively
6) Optimize employer matching while you’re there & what to do after you leave
7) Planning for life events.
8) Planning for living a long life and leaving a legacy of love to your family.
9) Alternative strategies